Saturday, June 19, 2010

Vocabulary

There are times when the Pocomoke in me really comes out. Mostly when I try to pronounce foreign words, but also when I let a little country slip into my vocabulary.

Until a few years ago, I thought that uh oh was actually spelled ut oh. Yes, I did. Because that is how I pronounce it, and how I hear others pronounce it. Ryan and Rich still tease me mercilessly about it.

Anyway, my mom was asking me about Andrew's words and I told her this past week he's picked up at least a word a day. I said I wanted to blog about it, but I was struggling with how you spell his newest favorite word. Not uh oh, but along those lines - I would spell it "unht uh." My mom paused for a moment then said, wouldn't it be spelled "uh uh?" Ummm. Yes, yes it probably would be spelled uh uh and I am probably the only dope in the world unable to spell uh uh. Becasue it has an n and t sound in it! Jut like ut oh!

Anyway, he started saying uh uh on Monday, and it has not abated. He knows no, and we've gotten really good at communication once he started shaking his head yes, but not every.little.thing. is uh uh. Are you hungry? uh uh Do you want a drink? uh uh Do you need a diaper change? uh uh He'll even nod yes while saying uh uh. Yes, he nods, while signing "drink" and yet saying uh uh uh uh uh.

Can I just say: annoying.

He is still doing great with sign language and has thank you down. So we'll hand him something and say, say thank you and he signs it, no problem. Imagine our surprise when on Wednesday he signed thank you and said thank you!

Tuesday night at prayers we concluded with amen and he echoed right along. Aaaaay-men. Just before we say amen we say and god bless everybody. Last night, before I could then say amen he said it.

Today he said daddy, not dada, but I am still mama. And I kind of like that. He's been saying sister for a couple of weeks - dit da! And he is working on Elizabeth. He's actually quite the chatty little guy. There's a lot of babble, but we are beginning to hear the words forming.

There is one looming issue with Andrew: the hair. It's gotten longer and he is regularly called a girl. It's not that long! I was hoping to wait a bit before cutting it, because once you cut a toddler boy's hair he is suddenly a big boy. But the time is drawing near.

1 comment:

Thrift Store Mama said...

I love the "dit-da." If you want him to keep it as a nickname for Elizabeth you can reinforce it "Go give this to your dit-da. Your dit-da will help you with your shoes, etc."